Darian Road car park redevelopment (2016)
Works have been completed at Darian Road to upgrade the existing car park to improve access.
The foreshore car park at the end of Darian Road, Torquay provides public beach parking and access to the Torquay Sailing Club. The existing, unsealed parking area provides 80-90 spaces (depending on use). The redeveloped car park design will provide 83 spaces (73 parking spaces to the east plus a further ten at the Torquay Sailing Club) which will include 2 disabled parking bays.
The key design objectives for redevelopment of the car park are to:
- Provide dedicated disabled parking bays.
- Improve pedestrian safety.
- Establish vehicle control barriers.
- Improve turn around capacity for long vehicles.
- Improve stormwater drainage.
- Improve sightlines.
- Retain and resurface popular lunchtime and off-peak parking areas.
- Revegetate with a mix of low, coastal indigenous species and Moonah trees to provide additional shade, improve the general amenity of the area and provide habitat.
- Provide new BBQ and picnic facilities and create a flat open grass area for recreational use.
- GORCC has been liaising with the Surf Coast Shire regarding complementary upgrade works scheduled for the Esplanade and will ensure the foreshore and esplanade works are undertaken concurrently, minimising construction impacts in the area.
The redevelopment of the car parking precinct is being undertaken in accordance with the principles and recommendations of the Torquay Foreshore Master Plan and the Great Ocean Road Coast Committee’s (GORCC’s) Coastal Management Plan (CMP).