Statement of intent
About this page
Our vision, mission and guiding principles.
Protect and enhance the breathtaking and iconic coastline with its diverse community, natural environment and rich cultural history as custodians for future generations.
Ensure the effective management of the Great Ocean Road foreshore on behalf of the Victorian Government, the community and users.
Our Guiding Principles
GORCC has developed a set of guiding principles which are specific to the coast it manages, whilst
complimenting the Victorian Coastal Strategy's principles. These cover a range of topics, including the natural environment, stakeholder engagement and organisational governance. They identify areas which GORCC believes are essential to effectively manage the coast and will guide the organisation’s strategic direction and decision making in to the future.
GORCC believes that:
- The natural environment is the prime value of the GORCC managed coast and its protection and enhancement is of the highest priority.
- The GORCC managed coast has very strong community, heritage and traditional values which must be
protected and enhanced.
- The coast’s significant economic values provide opportunities to generate resources to support the
protection and enhancement of its natural, community, heritage and traditional values.
- The GORCC managed coast should be managed in a transparent and collaborative way on behalf of and
in partnership with all stakeholders, with the general community being GORCC’s main ‘client’.
- The GORCC managed coast should remain accessible and affordable for the general community to
participate in a range of passive and active recreational pursuits.
- Fostering stewardship and volunteerism on the coast by improving awareness and understanding
amongst stakeholders is integral to its long term sustainability.
- GORCC’s decisions and actions should be directed by plans, strategies and other business and planning
tools that have been developed in consultation with stakeholders and using rigorous information and data.
- GORCC will be pro-active and take a lead role in promoting and facilitating the best outcomes
for the coast, including advocating and lobbying others on broader issues beyond GORCC’s direct
- Good governance, prudential management, organisation and structural arrangements and appropriate
human and other resources are essential to ensuring GORCC operates in an effective, ethical and